Monday, April 16, 2012

Stuffed Green Peppers

With all of the very unhealthy things we have just consumed, it's time for a healthy recipe. And yes, this recipe is even healthier than Veggie Pizza. So now that you've heard this shocking news, you're either going to keep reading or exit the page to go look at the cute dog picture your grandmother just sent you. My bell peppers are cute...right? At least in this recipe I didn't paste googly eyes onto my vegetables. =)



A teaspoon of salt will suffice but it's never enough when it comes to sugar!

Green peppers, and NO this isn't pepper that turned green and grew big.

It looks better than Rice-A-Roni.


There was lots of steam from this recipe.  It felt like a sauna.

A "romantic" candlelight dinner with plenty of chaperones.



Ingredients:
4 large green peppers
1 1/2 pound ground beef, ground pork, or ground lamb
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 15-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
2/3 cup rice
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano, crushed
1 cup shredded American cheese (4 ounces)

Directions:
1. Halve peppers lengthwise, removing stem ends,seeds, and membranes. Immerse peppers into boiling water for 3 minutes. Sprinkle insides with salt. Invert on paper towels to drain well.
2. In a skillet cook meat and onion till meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, uncooked rice, Worcestershire, basil,1/2 cup water, & some salt and pepper.
3. Bring to boiling: reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or till rice is tender. Stir in the cheese. Fill peppers with meat mixture Place in an 13x9 baking dish with any remaining meat mixture.
4. Bake in an oven about 15 minutes or till heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Makes 8 servings



So I wish I could say I came up with this recipe...but no, I got it from the cookbook shown in the picture. I hope you're reading this part right now and didn't decide to look at the "cute" puppy picture. Although I know puppies are very cute, I think I'll survive even if I don't look at it. Ok I'm done blogging, so you can go look at your picture right now! Does your Grandmother send you tons of e-mails with cute pictures and funny sayings?  My Grandmother does all the time.  I think she likes the forward button on e-mail because she's always forwarding things to me.  Hi Grandma!!!  I know you're reading this. =)                                                                                               
GB2- God Bless, Go Bake!!!

2 comments:

  1. these look really good! and it's hard to do better than better homes for a cook book! my mom got me my copy, and i use it all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had stuffed bell peppers in a very long time. Thanks for reminding me about this tasty dish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...