Sunday, July 1, 2012

Trail Mix Cookies

Like I said, they're surprisingly good. =)
 I'm not really a hiker, I'm more of a runner, biker, walker, or swimmer... not a hiker. There's not a whole lot I like about hiking except for trail mix. I could easily go on a hike if you bribed me with trail mix. Although you wouldn't have any M&M's left after you handed me the bag. But.... I've found a solution to me not taking all the M&M's. It's called trail mix cookies, and surprisingly...they're really good!


The Ingredients

Make sure to use whole wheat flour, otherwise your cookie may not be whole.... without the whole wheat flour.




I think the cookie monster would be pretty impressed with these ingredients


More great recipes at Joy's Website.




Ingredients
2 1/2 C. old-fashioned oats
1 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 C. (2 sticks) unsalted butter - softened
1 C. granulated sugar
1 C. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 C. peanut butter chips                 
1 C. M&Ms candy
1 C. roasted, salted peanuts
1/2 C. golden raisins

Directions 
1. Place racks in the center and upper third of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or just spray with non-stick spray) and set aside.
2.In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flours, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, beat together the sugars and softened butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed for about a minute after each addition. Stop and scrape the bowl as necessary. Add in the vanilla and beat until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Stop the mixer and add the flour mixture all at once. Beat on low speed until just incorporated. Add the peanut butter chips, M&Ms, peanuts, and raisins. Finish mixing together by hand, so as to not over-mix. Roll tablespoonfuls into balls (or use a cookie scoop) and place on baking sheets. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes on the cookie sheets, then finish cooling on wire racks. 


Twists, Tricks, and Tips:
I used a combination of salted and unsalted butter and it turned out fine. I also used regular raisins instead of golden. I didn't have any salty peanuts around, so I crushed 1/2 cup of walnuts. I also substituted peanut butter chips, for butterscotch. 




GB2- God Bless, Go BAKE!!!

2 comments:

  1. These were very good! I'm wondering what they would taste like with broken pretzels added to the mix...hmmm, maybe next time. :-)
    -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim C. looks sufficiently flabbergasted!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...