Saturday, March 17, 2012

Easy Irish Soda Bread?

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! I hope everyone had a fun day whether they remembered the holiday or not, (I sort of forgot about it.) Okay, now back to baking.  My mom really wanted me to make this recipe because yesterday she had made corned beef and cabbage in the crockpot and wanted this bread to go along with all the leftovers. At first being the apprentice baker that I am, I thought there was real soda in the recipe, so I declined because I'm not drinking soda, or carbonated water for a year. (My brother's dare/ idea - we're both doing it!) But then she said it was called "soda bread" because there was baking soda in it. So today we picked up some buttermilk and I made it...I think...read below and you'll find out why...
The Ingredients, I forgot the egg.
Mixing the ingredients together. This just might work...maybe.



I figured I'd try another way to "soften" the butter in the toaster oven, until my Mom saw what I was doing and told me that this wasn't a good idea.  She doesn't like messes. :-)
My...eh...dough?

Buttermilk, I remember one time Luke thought this was milk, poured some of it, then drank it.  He knows the difference now though. =)

The directions didn't say how to shape it so I just plopped it on the pan. It sort of looks like a big fish stick. =/


I know, normally my pictures will have helpful hints and tips, but not this one. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID!  While you are doing this step at home do not think to yourself WWGD (What would Grace Do?) because then your recipe and your oven will be doomed...

 like this.  (See, I poured all of the buttermilk and melted butter on top, but instead you're supposed to just brush a bit on and then slowly brush more on as you're baking.)  So apparently if you have extra liquid just lying on the pan it runs off, lands in the oven, and starts to sizzle and smoke. The whole kitchen was filled with smoke so I had to go somewhere else.  (It was getting hard to breathe.) Did I mention I also had the fire alarm screeching in my ear, refusing to go off?  Those are my Dad's hands above because he always comes to my rescue!  My Mom said the next thing I'm going to learn how to do is clean the oven! =)


It came out... edible!!!! Yea! 


Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 30 to 50 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.
Alright, so although it was a disaster, at least it tasted good in the end. I do highly recommend this recipe, as long as you make it right and follow the directions. Anyway, I noticed a lot of people like cheesecake recipes so I'm thinking of making a really good recipe that's half cheesecake, half cake! Happy St. Patrick's Day!
               
GB2- God Bless, Go BAKE!!!

3 comments:

  1. This was very tasty Grace and went perfectly with the corned beef & cabbage! You must have some Irish in you. Next time I'm sure it will be just perfect with no smoke involved; at least we know the smoke detectors work. I'd still like to see the picture of you with the fire extinguisher - that was cute! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, no way, I had the smoke detector going off today too! It was because yesterday I made chicken pot pie, and a lot runneth over, and I was surprised it didn't go off then. So this morning I made baked french toast, and the residue that I failed to clean up from yesterday's mess started smoking again; but hey, at least I know the alarm works. :)

    I've always wondered what exactly Irish Soda Bread was, so this post was informative! And that was pretty funny about how Luke drank the buttermilk when he thought it was milk. I like your guys' challenge for the year! I stopped drinking pop my sophomore year of HS and never went back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!

    Just FYI, if you don't normally have buttermilk around, you can substitute plain yogurt and water mixed together in equal parts in baking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...