Friday, March 30, 2012

The Real Red Velvet


Although you've probably seen red velvet cake at a bakery or grocery store, this is the real thing. We hardly ever buy red velvet cake because we've had the real thing, and once you've had that... there's no going back.  I know that red velvet cake has become rather faddish in the last few years, but this is an older recipe from my PA Grandma who has made this cake for a very LONG time (even before I was born), so pay close attention.

The Ingredients
1 bowl down 2 more to go.

Here comes the cake!!!



 I borrowed my sister's trifold board so everything looks white and pretty for the background. Hopefully she won't notice any smudges or batter on the board. =)

The trio of bowls.
Just 2 more ingredients left!
Ingredients for the icing



It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!!

Our friends enjoying some red velvet cake.

My patriotic Red Velvet Cake.
Ingredients:
FIRST STEP in BIG BOWL:
Mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. cocoa
Mix these 4 ingredients together.
SECOND STEP in MEDIUM BOWL:
3/4 cup oil, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 eggs 1 oz. red food coloring
Cream oil and sugar, add eggs. Add food coloring, Mix well.
THIRD STEP in SMALL BOWL:
1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp. baking soda
Combine buttermilk and baking soda.
FOURTH STEP:
Add second and third bowls alternately with the first.
1 tsp. vinegar, 1 tsp. vanilla.
Add vinegar and vanilla. Mix Well. Bake at 350F (175C) about 25-30 minutes.

Icing:
8oz of soft cream cheese, 1 stick of soft butter, 4 cups confectioner's sugar,  2 tsp. vanilla

Mix the cream cheese, stick of butter, and vanilla. Pour in the confectioner's sugar gradually till light and fluffy, (If desired add more sugar for sweeter icing.)

So, what do you think... are you going to be bold and try this recipe or just buy Costco's brand? Wouldn't you rather have the real thing instead of going with a cheap imitation??? I would make the cake...that's my opinion. =) I hope that's enough to convince you to make this wonderful thing....although it's probably not... or maybe it is!
GB- God Bless, Go BAKE!!!

3 comments:

  1. I like the Cowboys cup in the background of the first picture!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So not diggin' the cowboys cup!! I have my grandmothers red velvet recipe too, but I haven't had the guts to try it out yet...thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Yes, that's Luke's cup. The poor guy was trying to drink his milk with his cake but Grace was trying to take pictures with it at the same time. You have to admit, it is very patriotic - red, white, & blue with a star! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...