Sunday, May 20, 2012

Snickerdoodle Surprise

Could someone please tell me what "snickerdoodle" means? Or who came up with the word?  Because it's a very catchy name. Does it mean a Snickers bar and a doodle? Or what about a snick and then a er with a doodle. Is that what it means???  No, it means a warm delicious cinnamon cookie and in this recipe, it comes with a cream cheese surprise inside!

The Ingredients

See the difference between the two bowls.
Never underestimate the power of eggs in a recipe.  It can turn your
dough into a lovely ball of fluff.



Come Luke Skywalker to the darkside...I have cream cheese.


And this is the surprise part of it.

Now wrap the surprise in the sugar, so it looks nice and pretty.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Filling:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Instructions:
  1. Make the cream cheese filling by mixing the cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp vanilla. I used the electric hand mixer for this.
  2. Cover the cream cheese mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add about HALF of the flour, the 1 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
  4. Beat till thoroughly combined. Beat in remaining flour. Cover and chill 1 hour.
  5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Combine the 2 Tbsp. sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degrees oven for 10-11 minutes or till edges are golden. Cool cookies on a wire wrack. ( Makes 36-48 cookies)
Since we didn't actually find out what the meaning of snickerdoodle was, let's just call it a warm little sugary cookie, and in this case, with a dash of cream cheese inside. The cream cheese was definitely a new thing for me, especially wrapping the dough around it.  That took some practice. You know, come to think of it I can hardly wrap presents either, which is why we have those lovely gift bags to make use of!






This is Gracerdoodle signing off...
Why weren't my parents this creative when naming me? =/
(My editor/mother just added these last 2 lines.)
(facepalm)
And now my "punny" Dad just said, "Maybe Snickerdoodle stands for
a doodler with a sense of humor."
(double facepalm)
GB2- God Bless, Go BAKE!!!

6 comments:

  1. You know, Grace, my husband works for this great little company called GOOGLE. Whenever I don't know something, I google it and generally end up on wikipedia (his cousin works there). I just put in "snickerdoodle etymology" and here's what wikipedia had to say:

    The Joy of Cooking claims that snickerdoodles are probably German in origin, and that the name is a corruption of the German word Schneckennudeln ( "snail noodles"), a kind of pastry. A different author suggests that the word "snicker" comes from the German word Schnecke,which describes a snail shape. Yet another hypothesis suggests that the name has no particular meaning or purpose and is simply a whimsically named cookie that originated from a New England tradition of fanciful cookie names.

    And now I think you should practice saying "Schneckennudeln" over and over. Maybe your PA relatives can help with German pronunciation? :-)

    PS I love snickerdoodles, but hate cream cheese. :-(
    PPS Ben says to tell you that he thinks saying "Snickerdoodle Dough" over and over is the most fun thing ever. I can attest to the fact that he does say this quite often, and then laughs to himself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the P.P.S. idea, I just tried it!

      Delete
  2. I will give these a whirl next time my son comes up to visit. Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your wicked sense of humor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, by the way, you've been chosen again ... you have been nominated for my NEW Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling. Check out my site for the details (foodstoriesblog dot com).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love that surprise! It's the perfect snickerdoodle adaptation :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...