Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fruit-Filled Oatmeal Bars

It's October!!!  And that gives me lots of fall inspiration and ideas for the beginning of the cool weather baking season! (P.S. - Stay tuned for my post about fall cookie ideas!) I realize that P.S.'s should usually be at the end, but oh well, tomorrow is Columbus Day and I have the day off school so let's take a break from proper grammar rules too! Anyway, back to baking...this recipe is sort of similar to Apple Crisp. The biggest similarity is that it also contains apples. =)


The Ingredients

I've been writing to some companies and trying to negotiate a giveaway in exchange for free advertising on my blog!  I can't wait to see if any of them respond and YOU, my faithful readers, will be the first to hear about it and benefit from it if that does happen!


Something must be happening in this kitchen, it's sooo messy!


Sometimes I make this apple filling and pour it on to waffles or pancakes.  It tastes really good!
Ingredients


1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. quick-cooking rolled oats
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. butter
Raisin or apple filling (below) or 10 oz. jar preserves

In a mixing bowl combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup of the flour mixture. Press remaining flour mixture into bottom of ungreased 9x9x2 inch baking pan. Spread with desired filling. Sprinkle with reserved flour mixture.Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden. Cool in the pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 25.

RAISIN FILLING:
In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Add 1 cup raisins. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.

APPLE FILLING: (This is the one I used!)
Peel, core, and chop 2 medium apples. In a medium saucepan, combine apples, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons of water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of ground cloves. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes or until tender.



An apple a day keeps the doctor/dentist a way...
BTW, there's hardly ever a time when we don't have apples in the fridge.  You see, my dad's a dentist and he likes to have his daily apple.


Pros: 
-I always have apples in the fridge.
-I have never had a cavity even with all this baking.
-If I ever have a toothache, there's always a dentist around to fix it.
-Dentists are known for having a sweet-tooth and that's how some of the dessert I make gets eaten. =)

Cons:
-I really can't think of anything...









4 comments:

  1. What delicious bars! I love that filling.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone of my kids will love these bars...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of any "cons" either.

    Great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it!
    This is definitely one of my favorite recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...