Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Buttermilk Pie

Wow!  So pretty!
I think this is the last recipe I have from our visit to the east coast this summer. (Hint! Hint!  That means you should come visit me Grandma, so we can bake!) This recipe was actually a surprise to me. I came back from camp and found a bunch of pie pictures on my sister's camera...but that's great because now I can blog about it!

BTW, I guess I should give some credit to my Mom for taking all these pictures for me while I was away at camp. =)





Grandma in the "pie crust zone" of intense concentration.  Maybe that's why they always turn out so nicely.


It's like a sculptured work of art.


Look out everyone, she's got her rolling pin and crust.  You never know what may happen next...

This is what happens. This is base of the pie which looks a little like mashed potatoes.



Be careful that it doesn't overflow!




My 96-year-old great-grandmother eating a piece of pie.



I know how much grandmothers like to brag about their grand-kids,  so I'd like to take a moment to tell you how incredible my Great-Grandmother Brown is...

Almost everyday she'll sit in her rocking chair and crochet a blanket (baby blankets, sofa throws, etc.) either to give away or to donate to my cousins' school fundraisers, etc.
   
She likes to have some background entertainment going on while she's crocheting so the TV is usually on the Game Show Network to watch her favorite game shows. She tops it off at 8PM with an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" and then goes off to bed at 9PM.  Oh, I almost forgot...she also likes to read and works on word-finds most afternoons too!  When you're 96 you can pretty much do what you want and get away with it, including having a stash of unending M&Ms by your side during the day.

Ingredients:

1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. flour
dash salt
3 egg yolks, beaten
4 tbsp. margarine (softened)
2 cups buttermilk
beaten egg whites  (with mixer)
9 inch unbaked pie shell.

Directions:

Blend the first five ingredients then carefully add the buttermilk with a whisk.

Fold in the beaten egg whites. You can do this with a whisk too.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce to 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.

Unless your pie pan is extra large it may not all go in, so be careful!




GB2- God Bless, Go Bake!

3 comments:

  1. So what does this taste like? Is like a cream pie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a really good question, since I was at camp when my Grandma made the pie I didn't taste it... But! I called my Grandmother and asked her, she said it sort of tasted like a sweet custard pie, and it definitely doesn't taste like buttermilk though. It's hard to describe, although the best way to find out is to make it yourself. =)

      Delete
  2. It looks great! Her pie crust is perfect! No wonder you like to bake so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...